We’re a month into 2017! Crazy. I recently wrote a post for The Wonder Forest about the art of the hygge. It’s basically a Danish lifestyle where you have this feeling with life. This cozy warm feeling that’s blissful and friendly. It’s like a warm cup of cocoa on a cold winter day. Slowly I’ve been chipping away at every aspect of my life to make it better and happier kind of like the hygge! And I happen to have 20 ways to transform your life in 2017 too! Here they are 🙂
1. Switch to plant-based diet – Switching to a plant-based diet has numerous benefits. You feel less sluggish, you eat more fruits and vegetables so you’re nutrition count is up. You can experience weight loss and an all around fulfilled feeling. Switching to a plant based diet (little to no meat or dairy) is also great for the environment. It’s the single best thing someone can do for a positive impact!
2. Start putting yourself out there – I know how easy it is to say no you’re going to stay home. I’m the worst when it comes to going out in my own city. But we’re only this age once so we might as well do as much as we can. Attend events, join conferences, learn a new skill. Networking is the key to success so you need to make the effort, getting yourself there is the hardest part.
3. Get household plants – Plants can make any home feel more grounded and pure. Having plants breathes fresh air into your home and you can feel their positive effects. Maybe I think to much but somehow having a plant makes me more relaxed. Start out with succulents or cactuses and go from there.
4. Drink more water – You will read again and again how important water is to you. I cannot fathom how some people don’t drink water. I couldn’t imagine not drinking it at all times of the day. Once you get the hang of drinking water you won’t have to think about it and you’ll start drinking water naturally.
5. Swap out refined sugars for honey or maple syrup – We know how bad refined sugars are for you. Use natural sweeteners such as maple syrup, honey or agave.
6. Eat more grains – Swap out your white breads and pastas for some whole grains! Whole grains are packed with nutrients and proteins. Buckwheats, teff, wild rice and amaranth are great grains as well as quinoa! Add them to salads, soups, stir fries.
7. Limit Alcohol – Alcohol is one of those things we should limit. It’s dehydrating, gets stored as fat and as you get older the crappier you feel the next day. In saying that though we should all aim for a balanced lifestyle. I love enjoying a bottle of Processo when Aaron and I go out to dinner or when we’re in Paris people watching. Balance.
8. Practice Self Care More – Self care is going to be the theme of 2017. Self care means, shockingly, caring for yourself. You can do this many ways. Drawing yourself a bath with some bath bombs, taking yourself to the spa, carving out an hour of me time a day. Do what makes you happy and relaxed and do it often!
9. Make daily lists – Don’t let the days get away from you this year. 2016 blew by so you need to take advantage of everyday! Make lists of what needs to be done, when you need it to get done and then what you want to get done. Making daily, weekly and monthly tasks will help you stay on track and get organized.
10. Set goals – Goals are things you personally want to accomplish. What are your goals? How are you going to get there? How do you invasion that lifestyle? Writing down these things will set a clear image of what you want so you can delegate accordingly.
11. Find your passion – If you are still a wandering 25 year old who has no idea what she’s doing don’t worry, you’re not alone. Finding our passions can be a confusing journey. We often have our judgement clouded by media and people we know so it’s hard to see a clear path. Just remember we are bombard with the 1% of success stories so don’t stress if you haven’t figured things out yet. Find what makes you happy and what you can spend hours doing 🙂
12. Find a fitness routine – In life we need to find 3 hobbies. One to pay the bills, one for our mental health and one to keep us fit! Pick an activity you enjoy doing so you’ll be more likely to stick to it. There’s so many options now. You can do Barre class, Pilates, running, yoga, kickboxing, or throw on a YouTube video.
13. Write a manifesto – This is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. Your manifesto is your life. You need a clear guide of what you want and what you desire out of life. You want to write down what you want people to see in you, what you want to be known for, how you want to impact people and what you believe in. Define your strengths and you passions and then stick to it.
14. Get enough leafy greens – For lunches and dinner aim for 1-3 servings of leafy greens. This is going to transform your mind and your body. Leafy greens are hydrating, packing with vitamins and essential to human health.
15. Let go of toxic people – There’s to much life to live for you to be bothered by negative people. To many times have I shared my dreams with someone only to have them shit on it. If someone isn’t going to impact your life positively and encourage you then it’s time to leave them out of you decision making.
16. Fly somewhere new – 2017 is a year of adventures! Don’t hold yourself back and just go for it. Take that spring trip to Italy, go surfing in Australia, head to Mexico for some all inclusive drinks. Travelling is fun and exciting and broadens your horizons.
17. Start a blog – If you already haven’t! Blogging doesn’t have to be because you are trying to start a business. Even having some extra cash or doing it as a hobby is great. Blogging is great for creatives and entrepreneurs because it gives us another creative medium to work with. Editing photos, crafting blog posts, learning photography. All good skills!
18. Treat yourself – Getting simple things such as a pedicure or a new sweater is nice. It’s the little things in life that make us happy. I know you shouldn’t base happiness off of materialistic things but it’s nice. It’s nice having nice things and treating yourself to something you saved up for. We need to start giving ourselves permission to have nice things without this label that says we aren’t allowed. I said nice 5x in this.. 6 now.
19. Start a skin-care regimen – We need to be nicer to our skin! Sunscreen can make a world of difference after a few years of tedious care. Your twenties are an important part of how your skin is going to age so if we keep a regimen now we only have to maintain it in the future. Bright and healthy skin is attainable! Here’s my anti-aging regimen 🙂
20. Work on your dreams every single day – Turn your dreams into goals. There are no days off when you are working towards something you want. It will always be harder before it is easier so work hard now and reap the benefits later.
How do you plan to transform your life? What’s your 5 year plan? Share in the comments!