Aaron and I have been travelling the world successfully for about three years now so I thinks it’s safe to say I know a thing or two about being a travelling couple! I’m not saying it’s a smooth ride the entire time but as soon as we get back from a trip we start planning another one and get excited about all the fun things we can do together, which mostly involves eating. I remember we got back from Europe and a few weeks later we went to the movies and watched Monuments Men and it made us miss Europe so much we booked a ticket to Budapest the next day! For those newbie couples here are 7 things you should do!
1. Encourage Each Other To Try New Things – I’m not going to lie, there were a few times were I would want to punch Aaron (I say this with love) in the face, when he would try to make me do things. Mainly it is water stuff. I would get so mad when he would make me go in the ocean when I said I didn’t want to. I am mortified of open water. I’m scared a bit fat shark is going to eat me and I don’t even care if it’s fresh water, I’m scared. But with love, compassion and reverse psychology, Aaron has managed to get me snorkeling in the ocean a few times. I clung to his body for dear life the whole time but still, I was in. Same goes for him. He used to be a big suck when it came to food but now he’s off in Japan eating eel commenting on how good it is and wants to try more crazy things. It never hurts to encourage each other to leave their comfort zone.
2. Do An Activity Together – There is so much to do as travelling couples! Even friends or relatives. Zip lining, taking a cooking class, going parasailing.. the list is endless of activities you can do together! I think one of my favourite things Aaron and I did was take a gondola in Venice or hiking the Tiger Leaping Gorge!
3. Give Each Other Space – Everyone needs a little alone time, no matter how in love you are. I think it’s human nature to want a little solitude. Aaron’s pretty understanding of my me time because he knows how much I like it. Take a stroll alone or go for a morning coffee run for each other. Even having a long bath while the other person chills out is nice sometimes.
4. Be Their Own Personal Photographer – I think half the fun about travelling is all the cool photos. Maybe it’s a bit narcissistic but I love looking at photos from a trip. It’s so nostalgic and fun to look back together! I’m a lover of candid shots so I always think it’s fun to be you’re partners own personal photographer. You can look back at these photos for the rest of your life and always remember the fun you had!
5. Get Cheesy – I am a big cheese ball when it comes to the cliché stuff. Aaron and I spent Valentines Day In Paris, that’s how cheesy we are. So get some cheesy photos, do some cliché couple things, and just be cute and lovely dovey. I used to care about people judging us for being all giggly and smiley together but what can I say, if you’re smitten you’re smitten. Be cheesy.h
6. Have A Date Night – If you’re a travelling couple pretty much everyday is date night. But I’m the kind of person who needs to take a moment, like actually carve out a moment, that you can appreciate together. Some say that’s needy, I say it’s healthy. Travelling is such a whirlwind and you can get caught up in a million different things so make a date night. Maybe get dressed up fancy, make a reservation to some luxury restaurant, and go on a romantic date. Aaron and I have been on a few fancy dates to places like Sirocco in Bangkok and Ozone in Hong Kong. It’s fun and you really feel fancy being apart of such luxurious energy!
7. Be Patient With Each Other – You guys know me by now.. I like to sleep and eat. And when my sleeping and eating patterns are disrupted I get a bit grumpy. So being patient with each other is a big one because you both could be struggling with different things. And no ones struggle is more important than the other ones. So be gentle with each other. You want to stay in love by the end of it haha!
Are you planning any trips with your partner? What’s some advice you can share? Comment below!